D I Y HELP FORUM
Please register or log in so that you can ask a question in the forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

D I Y HELP FORUM
Please register or log in so that you can ask a question in the forum
D I Y HELP FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
D I Y HELP FORUM

A FORUM FOR THE AMATURE AND NOVICE TO HELP YOU COMPLETE YOUR WORK

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Carport Roof.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New Carport Roof. Empty New Carport Roof. Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:57 am

Pete B

I have a Carport roof made out of fibrefelt type corrugated material.Its about twelve years old and has it has started to leak in places so planning to renew it this summer.

I am trying to figure out the Cheapest method.Its a big roof,about 18'by 10,.I am thinking plastic corrugated 3" gauge profile would be the cheapest bet.Thought about boarding it and covering it in felt but would not workout much cheaper.In fact it could be dearer.Plus the incline is not that steep and water might seep through the felt.Corrugated steel looks expensive.

Anyone got any ideas has to cheapest method. Idea

2New Carport Roof. Empty Re: New Carport Roof. Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:37 am

Admin

Admin
Admin

if it were me i would use the 3" plastic. but i would try to clean it every year .

the fibre corrugated gets dirty very quickly and it will shatter rather than crack.

if the plastic cracks you could seal it with clear mastic and clear tape over the mastic when its dry.

you could use 1/2" plywood , you can buy 10'x5' sheets so you would need 4 . and instead of the usual 3" or 4" overlap on the felt make the overlaps 6" or 9" and glue them down.

but as you say the wooden roof would be the dearest but i think it would last longer. and i would give it 2 coats of wood preserver before fitting it .

i hope this helps you pete b

http://dribblingpensioner.wordpress.com/

3New Carport Roof. Empty Re: New Carport Roof. Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:46 am

Pete B

Yes it helps.Confirms what I had thought but shows I am on the right track. Laughing

4New Carport Roof. Empty Re: New Carport Roof. Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:55 am

Admin

Admin
Admin

ok , happy i could help you pete b

hope to see you back some time

5New Carport Roof. Empty Three Quarter Ply Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:03 am

Pete B

I have dropped in lucky on the plywood.So opted for that rather than corrugated plastic.I saw a advert in the local paper for 10 sheets of used three quarter 8x4 shuttering ply at £7.50p each.
I rang up and he brought them to my house to look at.They had been used on a building site for fencing the site of.
None of them are warped.Slightly damp and painted on one side.Just need de-nailing.No corners missing.
So purchased the lot for £75.00p.Going to let them dry out then tidy them up.Got lucky on the felt adhesive to.My brother had nearly a full 5 litre tin in his shed and gave it me.
So feeling pretty chuffed at the moment.Was looking at hundreds but now just over a £100 when I have bought the felt.
Just waiting for the better weather now. Very Happy

6New Carport Roof. Empty Re: New Carport Roof. Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:35 am

Admin

Admin
Admin

you touched very lucky there pete now all you need is an offer on felt and screws and some free help.

and of course the sunny

nice to see you back again , keep well , harry

7New Carport Roof. Empty Re: New Carport Roof. Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:00 am

Pete B

Got the offer of help in hand.Roped in one of my Brothers.Now pricing roofing felt at different places.But a local builders merchant has served me well in the past.
Seeing has I got Ten Sheets plan on lining one side of the Carport also.Bought some wood preservative cheap this morning.I plan on painting it first even though I am felting the roof.
Should last me out then. Very Happy

8New Carport Roof. Empty Re: New Carport Roof. Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:07 am

Pete B

Started painting the wooden sheets prior to putting them up.Dropped in lucky on the paint to.A local cheap shop in the area is selling bankrupt stock.5 litre tins of paint for £7.99p.I looked through the stuff and found a tin of Crown Black Opaque timber paint.As the carport is already black am painting the sheets to put on the side black also.

Also noticed he has some battleship grey exterior McPherson's paint.So going to buy that next week for the interior.

Just taking my time painting the odd sheet now and again.Hope to get the side done in a week or two.And the roof in the next six weeks.When my brother has spare time.Of course I have to rip the old roof off first.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum